Friday, March 14, 2008

It's been over a week

Greetings from Croatia.


I've been in this country now for over a week.

The rest of my classes are good. My first week of classes went by very fast and they all seem like not too much work, so that is good. I ended up sleeping in very late the last few days, because when I was first here I had a lot of trouble sleeping, and only got 4 hours a night for a while. I had to catch up on my sleep this week. Makes me miss out on some of the exploring and lunches though.

Last night we went back to Fresh. They had a night where they had free drinks until someone pees. Leah Don and I got there late because we went to someone's house that Don made friends with. These two guys grew up in Kuwait, and they were super friendly. We left to go to Fresh, when we got there Fresh was really crowded but the crowd started to go away when the beer was no longer free. I had a good time. Brad, Chris, and I walked home because the bus drove by us without stopping and we assumed that it was the last bus. The others caught the next bus though, so we didn't have to walk home. Oh well.


Pile gate at night. It is pronounced pee-lay, not like the English word pile. It is the main entrance to the old town. It was more impressive in person, I couldn't get any good pictures last night.

This is what the kuna looks like. That is 10 kuna bill (the smallest) and 50 kuna bill. The back of the 50 kuna bill has the old town of Dubrovnik on it.'

We meet some locals and made some friends with some other ACMT students at Fresh. We meet them for coffee today. It was nice except I felt a bit like an outsider because half the conversation at my side of the table was in Croatian. They only spoke in English when they were speaking directly to me or Kyle. They asked if we wanted to go back to Fresh tonight for happy hour and some people are going to go but I'm going to stay here and chill for the night.

So here coffee is a 2 hour long event, and there is a coffee shop every block. All coffee shops (caffes they call them) also sell alcohol but no actual food. It's mainly just a place to sit and talk and smoke. Everyone here smokes like a chimney, and they smoke everywhere.

Tomorrow night is our welcome party at a place we've never been to before called The Living Room.

My feet are absolutely killing me. A few days ago I tripped on the sidewalk walking home. Every since then the top joint of foot has hurt every time I stepped, and it is only getting worse. I must have bruised it falling or pulled a muscle or something. On top of that, One of the blisters I had started to feel warm and painful. I soaked it last night and put some antibacterial gel on it and bandaged it. It feels better today. I also got better sneakers to walk in.

I'll leave you now with some random pics.


Dusk is my favorite time of day.

Naked children statues would never fly in the US.

The plants are more tropical than anything I'm used to in New York.

Best. Sign. Ever.

Pile gates from a distance during the day as seen from the bus stop.

I don't understand European TV. This was on an Italian channel.

In old town

View from the old port.

The old port again

The perfectly blue water.

The narrower streets of old town.

No comments: