Wednesday, March 5, 2008

First Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111one

I made it to Dubrovnik, Croatia. The flight there wasn't too bad, the long layovers were the worst part, the good thing is in the extra time, I started and almost finished knitting a scarf for my sister.

I left Rochester and road US Airways to Philadelphia from there I rode the German airline Lufthansa to Frankfurt and then finally I rode Croatian Airlines to Dubrovnik. I meet up with two other people from the program in Frankfurt, Kyle and Brad. Lufthansa kept me well fed with dinner and breakfast on the plane. Croatia Airlines gave me lunch. I got a special vegetarian meal both times. The Lufthansa meals were really good but Croatian Airlines gave me a plate of vegetables, which was bland as hell. The cool thing was though instead of giving us pretzels, Croatian Airlines gave us a traditional Croatian cookie called a pepper cookie. It was really unique, more airlines should do that. I was concerned about finding the guy from the college who was supposed to pick us up from the airport, Zoran, since I never talked to him directly but I found him right away holding an ACMT sign.

Zoran brought us to a weird looking van with a driver and he drove us around to run some errands. First we stopped at the ATM to get some Croatian money, kuna. I got my picture taken for my bus pass. We got some food from the store but it was all meat and nothing I'd eat, but I got some yogurt and bread. Then we dropped our driver off and Zoran drove for a while. Zoran dropped us off home and we meet our landlord, seems like a nice guy. We chilled there for a while and later we took a walk. At home. I watched some old US TV. Full House, Family Matters, The Nanny. It was the only thing that was on, we get like 4 channels and half are in Croatian. The American shows are in English but subtitled in Croatian. I was the last one to fall asleep at about 6pm Dubrovnik time, noon Eastern US time after only an hour or two of broken sleep on the plane and losing 6 hours coming into Europe.

Zoran came to our house at 10:30am to take us to ACMT which is the college I'll be studying at. We rode the bus there and that is where we are now. We will get our monthly bus passes next and also coffee, and I hope some real food too. We will talk about internet at home when everyone else gets here tomorrow. There are still 4 CS students to come and I think all the photography students.

No comments: