Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Exciting Weekend Adventures pt. 2

Hello again from Croatia. Today is the start of week 5 of classes and week 6 in Croatia. Insane. It's going by way too fast.

Sometimes my internet shows up in Croatian. Some sites select my default language as Croatian when they see I have a Croatian IP. IMDB shows release dates for Croatia by default. Examples:


Just one of those little things you notice are different.

Anyways, I had another exciting weekend and another Environmental Science field trip. Zoran our mentor warned us that Staša (Env. Science prof) takes us hiking in the woods where no man has gone before. Now I know it is true.

Thursday a large group of us (including some Croatians) went to Katarina's house. Katarina is a really cool local person we meet at Fresh some time ago. We played some drinking games and chilled, it was a really fun time.

Friday was movie night. Ian, Leah, Kyle, Chris, Tom, Brad, and I plus two locals Nikola and Miya went back to the free theaters (yay!) to see There Will Be Blood. The movie was long and moved pretty slow. Some people couldn't sit through the whole thing. I did, it was a good movie I thought just could have moved faster. If you've seen the movie check out this Pokemon parody of the end Kyle showed me. It's really funny.

Saturday was the Environment Science field trip to an island off the coast called Lopud. We took an hour long boat ride to get there. I was so excited about taking a boat, I've been wanting to since I saw the Adriatic Sea. Once we got off the boat we walked around for a couple of hours up a hill through the woods and finally to the end of the path to a place with a spectacular view. I think all walks in this country end with amazing views I could only dream about a few months ago. We stopped 3 times for Staša to lecture about the Mediterranean ecosystem, how this island is unique, how there are neurotoxins in the water, and how it is better to poop in the woods than in the toilet. I got some awesome pictures but I'll post them another day, don't have time to post them today, I have a presentation tomorrow I still have to prepare for.

On the way back to the boat I thought we would go back the way we came. Nope, Staša took us through a path that hasn't been used in quite a while. There was trees and prickly bushes growing over the path that we had to avoid. I tripped and fell on a rock into one of those prickly bushes and got some slivers and a stick in my arm. The stick wasn't in deep or anything but it was pretty scary seeing it stick out of my arm. The funny thing is there was a really nice dog that followed us the entire way. When we stopped so Staša could lecture, he stopped too. He followed us from the boat, through the woods, and back. This isn't the first time I've been followed by a nice dog, one followed our group home when walking back from Fresh weeks ago.

When we got back to civilization we had almost an hour to kill before the boat came, so there was coffee. I think I'm going to miss the coffee shop culture when I leave Croatia, since its really relaxing to sit around and drink coffee and talk. The other thing I'm going to miss is the icecream, it's sooooo good here, especially the hazelnut flavor. I meet a few more local ACMT students on the trip, so that was awesome.

On the way back from the port to my apartment Leah and I stopped to look at purses for her. I ended up getting a much needed umbrella. Yay! The day was very nice and enjoyable. When I got back I was tired and I tried to fight the urge to fall asleep but I couldn't help it. I was sleeping while some people came over and played poker, which is ok, because I don't remember how to play poker, or any card game for that matter. I don't know why, but I learn card games and like a few days later I don't remember how to play. Anyways... When I woke up everyone had gone to Fresh so I walked down there and meet up with everyone. Fun times.

So today in Croatian culture we have decided on our trips. We are doing a 1 day trip to a bunch of cities in Montenegro on 4/19 and a 3 day trip 5/9-5/11 to some cities in Bosnia and Herzegovina including the capital Sarajevo. I'm really psyched. The border to Bosnia is like 40 km from Dubrovnik and the border to Montenegro is 20 km from Dubrovnik. It might also be the other way around, I don't remember exactly. Zoran also told us about the closest national park to Dubrovnik, Mljet which is another boat ride away.

That's all for now, picture to follow soon.

No comments: